Darla Branda, EdD, RHIA
Dr. Darla Branda joined the University of Arizona Global Campus in 2022 and serves as the Program Director and Lead Faculty in the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program. She holds a Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership from Abilene Christian University, a Master of Education in Higher Education and a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management from Saint Louis University, along with a Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management from Park University. She has dedicated her life's work to educating health information management (HIM) students for over 25 years; and leading programs for eight years. Her research interests center on professional practice experience and preceptor training. Dr. Branda is a member of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Missouri Health Information Management Association (MOHIMA), and the Mid- Missouri Health Information Management Association (MMHIMA), and the Alpha Chi Honor Society.
Dr. Branda is a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) and has over 30 years of experience in the profession. Dr. Branda started off her career working in a level-one trauma facility in the Midwest. She served as a medical coder, peer review coordinator, and supervisor. Additionally, she served as an HIM consultant focusing on coding and registry work in Northern California. She is a proud Veteran of the United States Air Force, where she specialized in Early Warning Systems Operations and served on a remote tour in Iceland. Dr. Branda resides with her family in Columbia, Missouri.
Current Research and Presentations:
- Branda, D., Christman, E., Gibbons, K., Goss, L. & Royce, H. (Fall 2022). Supporting HIM Professional Practice Experience Through Interprofessional Collaboration on Preceptor Orientation and Training. Perspectives in Health Information Management, 19(4). https://perspectives.ahima.org/page/supporting-him-professional-practice-experience-through-interprofessional-collaboration-on-preceptor-orientation-and-training
- Branda, D. (Summer 2022). Precepting HIM Students: A Multi-Case Study Exploring the Challenges of HIM Hospital-Based Professional Practice Experience. Perspectives in Health Information Management, 19(3). https://perspectives.ahima.org/page/precepting-him-students-a-multi-case-study-exploring-the-challenges-of-him-hospital-based-professional-practice-experience
- Branda, D., Royce, H., & Ward, L. (July 27, 2022). Professional Practice Experience in HIM Education: Preparation, Placement, and Training. [Presentation]. Assembly on Education Symposium. American Health Information Management Association. Virtual Conference. Chicago, IL. United States.
- Exploring the Challenges and Barriers of Professional Practice Experience in Health Information Management Education, College of Education, Abilene Christian University, Dr. Irma Harper, dissertation chair [Published July 16, 2021]
- What is Health Information Management? Where Biz, Tech, & Health Meet [Press Release, Southern New Hampshire University, April 20, 2021, https://www.snhu.edu/about-us/newsroom/health/what-is-health-information-management]
- Sowing and Growing a Path to Lifelong Learning [Libman Education, Blog, June 29, 2020, https://libmaneducation.com/sowing-and-growing-a-path-to-lifelong-learning/]
- Branda, D. (2020, August 6). RHIA Exam Preparation and Tips. [Presentation]. Health Information Management Student Association. Southern New Hampshire University. Manchester, NH. United States
- Best Practices for Building Virtual Student Associations [Poster presentation, Gather Conference, Southern New Hampshire University, May 2019]
- Integrating Canvas into the Traditional Classroom [Presentation, Campus Conference, Stephens College, Spring 2016]