Earn a Child Development Degree Online
Take Your First Steps into the World of Child Development
Child Development Degrees
In order to reach and exceed their potential, children need advocates and role models to support them in the early stages of life. Transform your passion for working with children into a rewarding, sustainable career with your online Bachelor of Arts in Child Development from the University of Arizona Global Campus.
What is Child Development?
Child Development is the study of biological, psychological, sociological, and emotional factors that influence the well-being and learning of children. A Child Development degree channels your desire to understand how children think and learn, with a comprehensive examination of the stages of development from infancy to adolescence. As a disciple of the discipline, you will understand how family, culture, peers, schools, and other factors influence the growth of children; and your degree will equip you with the competencies and confidence to pursue roles in education, social services, and other fields related to Child Development.*
BA in Child Development
With your Bachelor of Arts in Child Development degree, you can become a positive influence in the lives of children; and your courses will give you the skills and knowledge needed to address their needs in multiple areas, including cognitive, language, physical, and affective development. Your program takes a holistic approach to Child Development theories and practices, allowing you to develop a broad set of career competencies. In this way, a Child Development program offers a wider view of the discipline, unlike the specific, focused approach found in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction.
What is Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction?
The Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction degree program from Global Campus will teach you how to support learning and development for diverse early childhood learners. The program is designed for professionals who are already employed in early childhood development and learning fields, with a specific focus on skills needed to work with children in their earliest, most critical years – birth to age eight. This specialized approach separates the Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction program from the Bachelor of Arts in Child Development.
Request Information about Child Development Degrees
What Can You Do with a Child Development Degree?
With your Bachelor of Arts in Child Development, you will be in a unique position to make a life-changing impact on a child at a time when it truly matters. You can apply your newly-acquired capabilities to multiple professional fields, including:
Childcare Services – Working in a childcare services profession will give you the opportunity to construct curriculum that addresses the critical stages of development; and your knowledge of the foundations of play and learning will be vital to your interactions and evaluations.
Human Services – If you desire to inspire young populations by pursuing a role in human services, your understanding of family dynamics, cognitive development, and topics in education will allow you to influence child development on a larger scale.
Special Education – There is a shortage of special educators in the United States, and your Child Development program will give you the skills needed to adapt content and different teaching methodologies – and even design instructional materials to meet the specific needs of a child.
If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction, your skills will help you adapt to learning environments to match the abilities of a wide range of students. In a professional environment, you will be able to:
- Analyze theories that address the interrelationship of child, family, and community, and culture on the growth, behavior, and development of children.
- Compile evidence-based strategies that demonstrate an awareness of exceptionalities and cultural diversity within the field of early child development.
- Apply professional and ethical practice with national standards to include critical thinking, individual reflection, and collaboration.
As you prepare for a career working with young children and families, your Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development with Differentiated Instruction will be essential for a variety of careers.
How Long Does it Take to Earn a Child Development Degree?
Depending upon your level of commitment, your Bachelor of Arts in Child Development can take about four years to complete. If you transfer credits from another school, you may be able to finish sooner. Your degree program consists of 120 total credits, including:
- Major Course Requirements (39 credits)
- General Education Requirements (43 credits)
- Elective courses (38 credits)
As a Global Campus student, you will take one class at a time for five weeks, with access to an unrivaled suite of online tools and a support system that will guide you from application to graduation.
Benefits of Earning an Online Child Development Degree
No matter what path you take with your Child Development degree, you will find there is always a demand for compassionate professionals that can help grow and educate children. Benefits of earning your Child Development degree include:
A Flexible Path for Working Professionals
The Global Campus online classroom is accessible via mobile and desktop, allowing you to read, research, write, and engage with your classmates from anywhere, at any time. This flexibility allows working professionals to effectively balance the responsibilities of school, work, and family.
Opportunities to Grow Your Career
Having a fundamental understanding of how children learn and grow will help you advance in any childcare-related environment. Your degree will serve as the foundation of your career and give you flexibility when choosing which path to take. Additionally, your experience as an online student will provide you with a unique perspective when confronting issues of distance learning in early childhood education.
Serve as a Positive Role Model
Positive role models are essential to a child’s development, helping shape their behavior in school, relationships, and decision-making. As a Child Development professional, you can influence a child’s path in life while serving as a resource and advocate for parents.
Promote Play and Fun Every Day
For a child, playtime is learning. For you, playtime can be a profession. As a Child Development professional, it may be impossible to quantify the positive impact you can make on a child’s life. However, the smiles and laughter that come from everyday play may be enough to tell you that you’re doing a great job.
Should I Add an Emphasis to my Child Development Degree?
If you are pursuing your Bachelor of Arts in Child Development, you can broaden your education with emphasis courses. An emphasis consists of three, three-credit courses that will enrich your knowledge base and expand your career options upon graduation. You may choose from these five emphases:
- Cognitive Studies
- Environmental Management & Sustainability
- Public Administration
- Public Relations
- Web and Mobile App Technology
Adding an emphasis to your degree is a great way to show potential employers that you have specialized knowledge in a specific subject matter while also having a foundational knowledge of the child development field. While everyone’s career path and education are different, an emphasis is a great way to expand your knowledge and provide a game-changing accolade for your resume.
Career Outlook for Child Development Degrees
Child Development professionals aren’t just found in the classroom. In daycare facilities, extended school programs, and private tutoring, children will always need the support of educated adults.
For example, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the demand for teacher assistants will rise as fast as average through 2028; and if you plan to use your degree as a stepping stone toward leadership roles in childcare and education, the agency predicts faster than average demand for preschool and childcare center directors.
Keep in mind that the demand for Child Development professionals may vary by location and can be impacted by state and federal funding.
Other Popular Education Degrees
* An online degree from the University of Arizona Global Campus does not lead to immediate teacher licensure in any state. If you want to become a classroom teacher, contact your state's education authorities prior to enrolling at the University of Arizona Global Campus to determine what state-specific requirements you must complete before obtaining your teacher's license. The University of Arizona Global Campus graduates will be subject to additional requirements on a state-by-state basis that will include one or more of the following: student teaching or practicum experience, additional coursework, additional testing, or, if the state requires a specific type of degree to seek alternative certification, earning an additional degree. None of the University of Arizona Global Campus online education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), which is a requirement for certification in some states. Other factors, such as a student's criminal history, may prevent an applicant from obtaining licensure or employment in this field of study. All prospective students are advised to visit the Education Resource Organizations Directory (EROD) and to contact the licensing body of the state where they are licensed or intend to obtain licensure to verify that these courses qualify for teacher certification, endorsement, and/or salary benefits in that state prior to enrolling. Prospective students are also advised to regularly review the state's policies and procedures relating to licensure as those policies are subject to change.